The 10 Most Common Hiring Mistakes
1. Adverting for “positions” instead of “people”. Write ads that describe the “who” versus the “what”. Talent is more important than experience.
2. Hiring without a clear set of hiring criteria.
3. Hiring to availability of top talent versus need. Use a proactive approach rather than a reactive approach.
4. Not realizing that underperforming employees can be high cost. It’s important to ask the questions, “Who do I need to fire?” along with “Who do I need to hire?”
5. Not completing a careful background screening or reference check.
6. Hiring criteria that changes with each interviewer. It’s important that everyone on the hiring team is aligned with expectations of the role and an agreed upon profile of a successful employee.
7. Not ensuring the personality and the company culture fits. While skills are critically important to the performance of the role, it is the cultural fit that reduces turnover.
8. Not understand how to turn past hiring failures into future successes
9. Not having the ability to “sell” your company during the interview process. You want to be able to attract top talent as easily as identifying it.
10. Biggest Mistake: Not hiring Govig Senior Care to identify and qualify top talent!